Disclaimer:

These videos were compiled for the use of our homeschool. Please use them if you'd like but know that some of the links may have changed. Also, some videos have ads at the beginning or may continue on into another video that you may not want to see. Please preview each video before allowing your children to use the link. All the videos should open on their own page which may contain links to other videos. Videos played at YouTube will have other links visible while viewing the selected video. These links may not be suitable for children therefore it is a good idea to view all videos at full screen. Please use the links under adult supervision. I am sure many of the links have been deleted or changed. If my life ever slows down I will do my best to fix them. Thanks for understanding.



Tuesday, January 17, 2012

History - Creation to the Greeks-My Father's World curriculum

We are trying to cover history at a slower pace than Abeka. I ordered the My Father's World curriculum to use in an effort to pull out more detail since my girls see history as just a list of names and dates to be memorized and forgotten. I wanted to put together a page of video links to show the "real life" of history.It is slow go for me so I hope my children will be patient and enjoy the journey of learning together.

(At the time I made this page my children were 12 and 9. I still come back to it often as a refresher and decided to leave it up. Maybe it can be of use to others, too.)

(link to scripture stories in chronological order)(Old & New Testament, also has 2 pages on Mormons)
Story of the World I Video Links - this blog has video links that may be helpful to you
STOW and Netflix Movies List
MFW CtG YouTube playlist 
Ancient World History Reading List

Interactive Online Timeline

Online books I found - The All In One Homeschool is a free online curriculum that has lots of resources. On their site are suggested additional readings free online. Ambleside Online also has some. All In One Homeschool Ancient thru Middle Ages can be found here and Ambleside is here. The following books are free to download or read online:
Cat of Bubastes , on audio
Story of Mankind , on audio (some use this as the main history reading. The first few chapters are about evolution.)
The Story of the Greeks
Tales of Troy


What is the Bible?
What is a Testament?

Week 1:
Genesis Song
Creation logic
Creation
Who Do You Trust Song
Dinosaurs
Kent Hovind - Creation vs. Evolution (long but great for me to learn from)
Laminin - Cross shaped protein that holds all things together

Week 2:
Fall of Man
Cain and Abel
Noah

Week 3:
Tower of Babel
Pangea & Plate Tectonics (ignore reference to 'billions of years ago')
Ice Age

Ancient Mesopotamia (Sargon)

Week 6:

Abraham's Journey
Harran
Abraham and Lot
God's promises to Abraham
Ancient Mesopotamia (Sumer & Babylon)

Week 7:
God destroys Sodom and Gamorrah

Week 8:
Abraham offers up Isaac
Look What God Can Do Song 
Abraham finds a wife for Isaac

Esau sells his birthright
Jacob tricks Isaac to get the blessing then flees to Harran


Walking The Bible Part I, Part II, Part III 

Week 9:
Jacob marries two sisters 
Jacob leaves Laban 
Jacob reunites with Esau 
Joseph sold into slavery 

Week 10:
Joseph in prison
Joseph interprets Pharoah's dream
Joseph's brothers come to Egypt
Joseph reveal's himself to his brothers
Ancient Egypt 
Mummification Song

Week 11:
Exodus Recap
Exodus Song
Moses in the bulrushes





Week 12 & 13:
Moses at the burning bush
Plagues in Egypt & Exodus

Week 14:
Manna in the Wilderness
Mt. Sinai  (actual film begins at 2:23)
10 Commandments Song 

Week 15:
The Tabernacle Court
The Tabernacle Furniture & Symbolism
Instructions to build the Tabernacle
Symbolisms in the Tabernacle
Information of High Priest Garments (not a video)
What Is Holy?
Leviticus Song

Week 16:
12 spies sent into the Promised Lands
Korah, Dathan & Abriram's error (Numbers 16)
Numbers 20 (Water from the rock at Kadesh)(NIV)
Moses and the Firey Serpents
Moses final instructions
Deuteronomy Song

Migration to the Americas
Mammoth vs. Mastodon
Native Americans of Alaska
Mound Builders


Timeline of Israel from Abraham to Joshua
Pentateuch Song
Historical Books Song

Week 17:
Joshua Song
Joshua crosses the Jordan
Battle of Jericho
Joshua Fought The Battle of Jericho Song
Joshua and the battle at Ai (Joshua 7) - audio
Joshua at Ai (Joshua 8) - audio
The Sun Stands Still (Joshua 10) - audio
Joshua's farewell address (Joshua 23) - audio
Joshua's death (Joshua 24) - audio
Ramses II , Continuation
Akhenaton & Nefertiti
Nefertiti Song
1922 Footage of Carter at tomb of King Tut
Inside King Tut's Tomb
News report on King Tut
King Tut's Treasure
Mummy of Akhenaton found - father of King Tut
King Tut's name change
Death of King Tut (really gross battle wound scene)
King Tut Song

Week 18:
Judges Song
Judges Song-really goofy in places but gives overview of all Judges
Gideon Is Called
Gideon Song
Gideon's 300
Shophar Blasts
Fancy Shophar Soundings
Samson

The Canaanites & Why They Were Destroyed (Mature Content re:sacrifices)
The Hittites
The Philistines Song


Week 19:
Ruth (short story)
Another skit of Ruth (gives lineage to David)
Ruth - A Faithful Woman
Redemption Song
The Call of Samuel

Minoans
Ancient Minoan Song
Knossos Palace Reconstruction in 3D
Knossos Palace Slide Show
Theseus and the Minotaur - Greek myth
Mycenaeans & TroyMycenaeans & Dorian Invasion
Extra Info-long with lots of detail:
Aegean Civilization Part I ,Part II ,Part III , Part IV- Search for the lost cities of Atlantis, Troy, & Mycenae

Week 20:
I Samuel Overview

History of Ancient Greece
Greek City States
The Story of Greece in Song


Week 21:
King Saul
Scythians

Week 22:
Saul and David

Week 23:
King David
II Samuel Song
Phoenicians
Proto Sinaitic Script (precursor to Phoenician Alphabet)


Week 24:
The Wisdom of Solomon
Solomon's temple
Solomon's temple-aerial view of 2nd temple rebuilt by King Herod
Archeologists Uncover wall from Solomon's temple

Week 25:
I Kings Overview
Elijah

Week 26 & 27:
II Kings Song
Elisha
Hair from Indiamore on Indian hair

Week 28:
Jonah
Isaiah's Gospel
Assyrian Empire
Assyrian Siege of Lachish, Judah

Week 29:

King Hezekiah and Sennacherib skit
Hezekiah's Tunnel (nice maps)
Archeology from the Pool of Siloam
Who was Sennacherib? (graphic images at beginning)
Josiah (First 3:18 shows sacrifice to molech-my little ones won't be watching it! :)
Jeremiah Part I,Part II
Fall of Assyria & The Chaldean (Babylonian) Empire (graphic fight scenes)
Chaldeans of Babylon
I Chronicles Recap
II Chronicles Song (Lists Kings of Judah)

Week 30:
Fall of Judah
God Gave Them Knowledge
Fiery Furnace
Louis Armstrong singing "Shardrach, Meshach and Abednego"
Athens vs. Sparta

Archimedes Screw

Week 31:
Nebuchadnezzar-A Lesson in Humility
Handwriting on the Wall (part1)(part 2)
Belshazzar sung by Johnny Cash
Daniel in the Lion's Den
Persians
Ancient Empires Recap

Week 32:
Esther
Persia/Greece War (oral narration)
Another recap of the Persia/Greece Wars (written narration)


Week 33:
Ezra
Nehemiah
The Acropolis
The Greeks - Golden Age Video Page
Rebuilding Jerusalem's Wall-Video of class taught by a Jew (we listened to a little of it to hear the Hebrew language and see the writing)
Animated Story of Nehemiah
Nehemiah - Bentley Bros Song
Nehemiah's Prayer in Song

Summary of the Books of Ezra & Nehemiah


Week 34:

Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great Part IPart II
Alexander the Great-Horrible Histories Comedy Clip


16 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely be adding these to my lesson plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome! It was quite a chore to put together so I wouldn't want someone else to go through the trouble when it's just easier to share. I think I like having the links all in one place more than my kids. They make for a great quick review! Hope y'all enjoy!

      Delete
  2. This list is fantastic! My kids are both visual learners so I like incorporating videos to reinforce what we learned in our texts. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like it. My kids are visual learners, too and these videos really help them. It makes what we've read about stick. Some of the songs are really great and we find ourselves singing them at the oddest times!! :) We had so much fun with them we just had to share!

      Delete
  3. Just wanted to say "THANKS SO MUCH" for putting this list together, I'm looking forward to using the links you provided this year!!! So sweet of your to share - thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I have just fixed a glitch that kept me from sending you a reply. I hope you are still finding the links helpful to you and your family.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sorry to be so extremely slow in sending a reply to your comment. I have just fixed a glitch that kept me from sending it. Thank you for your comment and I hope you are still finding the links on the site helpful. Blessings to you and your family.

      Delete
  5. Thank you!! I love supplementing our studies with videos. This is quite a list and is very appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I have just fixed a glitch that kept me from sending you a reply. I hope you are still finding the links helpful to you and your family.

      Delete
  6. We are on week 31 and we have loved coming here once a week for a fun review of what we learned! Thanks so much for organizing these!! Many blessings to your family and homeschool journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad these are useful to you. I never dreamed when I started making these pages for my family that it would turn into such an extensive site. I hope I am able to keep it maintained so it will continue to be a source of fun for you and your family. We have some favorites that we still come back a watch. Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  7. Just wanted to take a quick moment to say thank you for ALL the work you have taken to compile this list of videos. My children and I have enjoyed just about every single one of them this school year! (the ones we haven't, would be simply because we didn't have time that week)
    Just FYI - The Animated Story of Ruth week 19 is no longer available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to be this slow in replying. The past few years have been very rough due to illness but I plan to go through all the links and fix them. Thank you so much for letting me know about the broken link and I am so glad you enjoyed the links.

      Delete
  8. We are getting ready to start Creation to Greeks in a few weeks, this is an awesome find, please leave it up! I will be referring to it throughout the year, THANK YOU for your hard work putting this all together, it is amazing! How did you like the curriculum after you finished? We started homeschooling with Abeka but used My Father's World for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. Thank you again for this amazing resource!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the site is helping you have a great school year! I know some of the links are broken and I will do my best to fix them as soon as possible. I plan to keep the site up and running as long as possible. We made our switch from Abeka to MFW trying to make our time together learning more enjoyable. I still struggle with being a "box checker" who has to do everything on the list but the MFW curriculum has been a much better fit for my kids. They like having different activities to choose from and the living books are wonderful. I have asked my kids a few times if they wanted to switch back (because some of the MFW high school work seemed harder than Abeka to me) and they always answered "NO!". :)

      Delete

Because of crazy spam people, comments are now highly monitored on this blog. I am sorry for any inconvenience this causes the honest people. I hope you understand. Blessings to you, Vicki.